Well the weather outside is absolutely atrocious and it’s the kind of day that has us craving a bit of warmth and comfort food! Every now and again I head into Marks & Spencers to have a gawk around their veggie aisle, thankfully they’re always experimenting with new ways to present and sell their food and after falling in love with the butternut squash spaghetti I had before I was delighted to come across their ginger and garlic cauliflower rice and so I figured I’d make my own chinese style dish! So here is the recipe for my Chinese style chicken with egg fried rice! It only has 350 calories, a whopping 54 grams of protein only 9 grams of fat and 6 grams of carbs and have I mentioned yet that it tastes delicious? Let me know if you try it and how you get on!
Ingredients: Serves 2
Marks & Spencer’s Ginger & Garlic Cauliflower Rice
2 x 180 gram Chicken Fillets – (I used 3 chicken fillets but this recipe is for 2)
80 grams broccolini
80 grams of red bell pepper
70ml of Kikkoman Gluten Free Soy Sauce – got this in marks and spencer’s (I chose this one as it has no sugar however it can taste quite salty so adjust the amount used to the servings, as in if you are cooking for more than 2)
- Weigh out your soy sauce, pepper, broccoli and set aside for later. Chop up your chicken and add your soy sauce to marinade in the fridge. (you can marinade for as long as you like but I only did it for 10 minutes and it still tasted great).
2. Whisk your 2 eggs together and pop into the pan to scramble up! Once scrambled add to a bowl for later use. (No oil needed)
3. Add your chicken to the pan, I didn’t use any oil as there was soy sauce in the bowl and I didn’t think it needed any. Add your pepper and broccoli and cover. The soy sauce will start to bubble and the chicken will broil instead of fry but it locks in the moisture and tastes really good. I didn’t want to use any oil cooking this so if your soy sauce begins to dry up and you need more moisture in the pan to cook the chicken through add some water. I didn’t need to but it all depends on the amount of chicken to soy sauce ratio. Leave to simmer until chicken is cooked all the way through!
4. Add your cauliflower rice to a different pan, again I used soy sauce from the chicken pan instead of oil to add a bit of moisture and flavour to the cauliflower. Fry for 5 minutes or until it has softened somewhat. Then add your scrambled egg bag into the mixture and fry until you’re satisfied with it (taste it to see).
5. Et Voila!! There you have it, 2 portions of chinese style chicken with egg fried “rice”! Hope you enjoy ❤
Nutritional Info: Per Serving (serves 2)
Calories: 353 calories
Protein: 54 grams
Carbs: 8 grams (6 net carbs, 2 fibre)
Fat: 9 grams